Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Way I Am - Eminem

So I have come to the conclusion that I am the way that I am because of my youth. If THAT isn't a nice "lead-in" to this observation, I'm not sure what is. I didn't realize that until this morning. Jaden came into the bathroom and kept telling me that he was taking his dinosaurs to school for "sclhoo and schlair". I tried to decipher as best I could, but I personally could only come up with "Do you have Show and Tell today?"

Finally I went to talk to Mommy as to what he was trying to advise me. She told me it was "Show and Share" day at school, as it is EVERY Thursday. Well, despite my lack of solid parenting skills, I now understand why I am so selfish. When I was growing up, we only had "Show and Tell" day. That consisted of you taking an item of interest to school, telling the other kids about it, and sitting back in your chair huddling around the item so that no one else could touch it. WE didn't share. We SHOWED it and hoped the rest of you were jealous. This "sharing" concept is new to me.

I played games in which you won or lost. No one keeps score anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Kids don't get spankings, they get "time-outs". Jaden is about 3 "time-outs" away from a good ole fashion spanking. CPS, please take note! I guess my point is that although I sometimes think that the way I was raised sometimes was "questionable" versus today's standards; I now get it. I am fairly disappointed that society frowns on the way in which we were raised, because I think some of the kids today would benefit from the "old school" methods. After all, I think we all turned out "Okay". ;-)

Best of luck to those of you out there raising kids now and my condolences to those of you that have already gone through the process. Oh, and to the parents of we that are writing and reading this blog......We DID end up with the kids that you WISHED upon us back in the day. I hope you are happy, because oddly enough, WE ARE! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Yes we did get the kids that were WISHED upon us (I know that you must be tired, Jaden is a Very Active boy). The only thing that dad didn't get was for one of mine to be in the form of a girl.

Love,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

what are you saying, that we "abused" the youth of yesterday!?